Monday, March 17, 2014

Thirty-Two Years Ago Today...

I went dancing at JB's Down in Kent, Ohio, there was going to be three of my favorite bands playing all in one night.  Groovy...  I also remember that there were quite a few people there that didn't quite "get" the scene and that there was some filming going on. I remember thinking "I'll never see any of that".  Well I was wrong...

A couple of weeks ago I googled a photograph (of something totally unrelated), when something caught my eye. I followed the links and found an article in which some old friends telling stories about the punk movement in the Cleveland-Akron-Kent area of Ohio in the seventies and early eighties. It was a nice read and reminded me of some great times.  At the end of the article there was a link to this film, provided for those that wanted a little taste of what the scene was like back then.  I just knew that there would be film of my friends and likely of me in it, and there is.  I'm surprised at how many names I remember.
Anyway, in the first two songs there are glimpses of me here & there, but then in the third song I am right there, front and center, dancing for most of the song..!

Don't feel obligated to watch unless you were into the new music movement; punk, new wave scene. Or, unless you want to see how adorable I was when I was nineteen (good thing I didn't know it at the time or I'd be dead by now)..!

(Also you can easily see Tracy Wormworth dancing in the crowd and I think you see Jim Jarmusch's back, though I can't be sure).


8 comments:

  1. That is just amazing Wallingford and yes adorable cutting the rug. What a treat to come across. Now we just have to wait for your 54 days disclosed..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool that you found that stuff!

    I think I see you. Pre-Sal Mineo era?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!
      Finding it by accident too..!!!
      I'm the cutie that rubs his own neck when Claudia of The Somantics is singing "Pain in the neck; Pain in the neck.."
      (I am an interpretative dancer).

      You only get the Sal look when you are looking into my black eyes.......

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I know!!!
      So weird... Thirty-two years ago, right now, maybe..!

      Delete
  4. Very cool.
    Made me get up and move at my desk this morning, sparking disapproving looks in the eyes of co-workers.
    And, as the kids might say today, you were totes adorbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Circles in circles in circles...

    Yes it is some hard dancing music, and there is a reason why Cleveland is the rock & roll capital of the world. No one there sits still while the band is playing, be it rock, waltz or polka...!

    ReplyDelete