Wednesday, May 4, 2011

We Remember

May 4, 1970
We spent a good deal of our teen years hanging out in Kent, subsequently we knew more than a few people that were there on that terrible day.  Some of the friends we made there are still some of our best
friends.
Looking at this image & remembering how things felt on the national stage, we can't help but see a parallel to the way some things feel today...

For us, namely, "How can the "good" people of the world be so stupid & heartless?".

Would any of you like to note a comparison or observation?

HERE is a link to an article at the Guardian if you'd like to refresh your memory.

5 comments:

  1. Kent State was precipitated by Nixon's order to invade Cambodia. I was in the Navy at the time and our ship was thrown into the fray to support the operation.

    Then we got the news through Navy and Stars & Stripes about Kent State and other protests and killings. I was stunned by all that. It took a couple of weeks for newspapers and magazines from the US to reach us so that we could read about what had happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing xl...
    I was young then & I couldn't understand why "The good folks" couldn't understand that being anti-war didn't mean anti-military... I still don't get that.
    I have had many vietnam veteran friends over the years, some of the best people I have ever known, and I am no stranger to va hospitals in several states...
    And I offer you my personal thanks for your service... from wally to xl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the very kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the day well. We watched it on the TV & my parents put their 2 cents in.

    Kent State & The First Day of the Freedom Riders on the same day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen - That is a great observation, I was over at your place & Oh my! A whole lot has happened on May 4, huh?

    ReplyDelete